You are now married and as a husband, building a decent home for your family is your priority. Have you checked what God wants from a godly husband in the Scripture? Let us start!
- Ephesians 5:23: For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
It only means you are the head of the family and you should bring your wife to God. However, this does not follow that you can run an authoritarian rule in the household.
- Genesis 2:24: That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Marriage means the solidarity of two souls in the eyes of the Lord. Keep in mind that you may rely with your parents once in a while but the marital affairs should be only handled by you and your wife alone.
- Psalms 128:3: Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
Then you are the gardener who nurtures the vine to make sure it will blossom beautifully. The way your home will be like in the future depends on the type of husband that you are.
- Proverbs 14:23: All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
Well, this is another Bible verse telling you to work for your family. You are primarily responsible for bringing your family to decent living.
- Proverbs 25:15: Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.
Arguments are natural in marriage. However, you do not quell your opinions through forcing these on her. Resorting to violence in all forms is not allowed. Instead, understand her point, compromise and meet halfway.
- Proverbs 31:10: A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
Treat your wife as if she is the most expensive thing in the world. She is priceless, a one of a kind and the God has designated for you.
- Matthew 5:28: But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Temptation will always be around and it is hard to evade this every time. Perhaps you should avoid the source of your temptation in the first place, especially if she is showing advances to you. On the other hand, try new things with your wife or do things back when you are still dating. That might break the stagnant feeling the two of you have in your marriage.
- Ephesians 4:31-32: Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
As hard as it sounds, do not sleep without your disagreements being resolved. The best way to avoid divorce is to fix the problem as soon and calmly as possible. Rage only meets rage and you might say things which may cause irreversible damage in the future. Set your pride aside and apologize when needed to. Forgive and you will be forgiven.
- Hebrews 13:4: Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Get married before you start living together because Christianity values purity. As we said before, you must not commit adultery or any action that will stain your marriage.
- 1 Peter 4:8: Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
Last but not the least, never forget to show compassion with each other. Make her feel that she is well-loved and she will do the same. Remember, adultery and other marriage-related sins happen when someone thinks he/she is neglected.
Amazingly, the pieces of advice in the Scripture are still applicable up to this day. If you are doing most of how a godly husband in the Scripture should be, give yourself a tap on the back. Never fall into complacency though. This is where sin starts to enter in your system. Your journey towards marriage will be long and worthwhile.